Australian Slangs – Places
- The bush – areas outside of major cities and towns.
- The outback – the deserts of inland Australia
- Bushfire – wildfire
- Whoop-Whoop – The middle of nowhere (eg: So I was stuck out whoop whoop…) It is a short ‘oo’ sound, like in ‘pull’, not long like in ‘choose’. Also an actual town in the middle of the Australian bush.
- Beyond the black stump – An imaginary point beyond which the country is considered remote or uncivilised
- Back of Beyond – Even further than beyond the black stump. Really far.
- Scrub – Thick, snotty bush
- The G – Melbourne Cricket Ground
- Servo – Service Station (Petrol Station)
- Bottle-O – Bottle Shop (Liquor Store)
- Chemist – Pharmacy (also used), Drug Store
- Newsagent’s – Seller of newspapers, magazines, and candy
- Milk bar – Small shop selling drinks, sandwiches, candy, hot chips, and so on
- Maccas – McDonalds restaurant
- Traino – Train station
- Back-of-Bourke – Very distant location
- Big smoke/city – A non country area(includes associated suburbs)